Skip to main content
Aggie Green Pledge is a program designed to encourage students, faculty and staff on the Davis campus to take sustainable actions.
How It Works
- Visit the Aggie Green Pledge table at the on-campus Farmers Market (on the West Quad) or at the New Employee Orientation event.
- Pledge to take action in one of the five categories below. Note: You can only make one pledge per tabling event.
- Each time you pledge in person, you get a corresponding pinback button for that category.
- After you make pledges in three categories you get a medium prize (e.g. Sustainability mason jar mug).
- After you pledge in all five categories you get a big prize (e.g. Sustainability reusable bag).
Categories and Pledges
- Eat meatless one day a week and minimize meat consumption on other days.
- Purchase Fair Trade, shade-grown, organic coffee when available, and if not available, ask the coffee shop or grocery store to source it.
- Order food carefully when planning events to avoid having uneaten leftovers that may be wasted.
- Turn off the faucet or shower when not using the water, such as when brushing teeth, washing dishes, or lathering up.
- Report campus water leaks and broken water fixtures or sprinklers to Facilities Services (530-752-1655).
- In labs, adopt a fill-and-dump rinsing method for labware instead of using running water.
- Take the time to sort waste into the correct waste bins.
- Reduce paper use (e.g. print double-sided and only when necessary, edit and mark up PDFs electronically) and buy recycled content office supplies.
- Pack a zero waste lunch on to campus.
- Turn off the lights when leaving a room and turn off the computer and other electronic equipment when leaving for the day.
- Use daylight or a task lamp with an LED bulb and turn off overhead lighting whenever possible.
- Avoid individual space heaters in the office and report building temperatures that are too hot or too cold to the Thermoostat to help reduce energy waste on campus.
- Join the UC Davis goClub for sustainable transportation rewards.
- Request a hybrid or plug-in electric vehicle when reserving a campus fleet vehicle for departmental travel.
- Learn more: Fleet Services hourly and daily vehicle rentals.
- Watch the TAPS Bike Safety video and adopt the safe biking practices described in the video.